Declaring a Major in Mechanical Engineering
All programs in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences (CEAS) currently limit the number of students accepted. Admission to the University, however, does not guarantee either immediate or future acceptance into the major for which the student applied.
Qualified freshman and transfer students who have indicated their interest in the major on their applications for admission to Stony Brook University may be admitted directly as a degree major or as a pre-major. Pre-majors are placed into the Area of Interest (AOI) program and to be eligible for the degree, they must be admitted to and declare the major.
Visit the CEAS Undergraduate Student Office webpage for information on declaring a major or minor in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, including answers to frequently asked questions. Access to the major/minor declaration/drop form can be found here.
Entry Requirements for the Major in Mechanical Engineering:
- PHY 131 or PHY 126 or PHY 127 or their equivalents,
- One MEC course required for the major and taken at Stony Brook,
- Earn 10 or more credits of mathematics, physics, and engineering courses that are taken at Stony Brook and satisfy the Major’s requirements,
- Obtain a grade point average (G.P.A.) of at least 3.2 in major courses with no more than one grade below B-, and
- No courses required for the major have been repeated.