Whether deciding to join our department as a student or new faculty member, verifying a university’s rankings and evaluating data used to determine the rankings should be a critical part of the process. Here is a sample of our Department and University rankings:
2018-2020 U.S. News & World Report (USNews)
In the 2020 edition of Best Graduate Schools, Stony Brook University was named a top school in both Engineering and Medicine. The College of Engineering and Applied Science rose from being ranked 66 in 2018 to 64 (tie) as a Best Engineering School. The Mechanical Engineering graduate program rose from 70 to 52.
In 2018, Stony Brook University has been ranked No. 80 among U.S. colleges and universities by U.S. News & World Report, the highest ranking in the university’s history and up 17 places from No. 97 lin 2017. Among public universities nationally, Stony Brook University ranks No. 32.
Stony Brook University ranked #30 in the Top Public National Universities according to Times Higher Education
Stony Brook University School of Medicine ranked 56th in the Best Research category, ranking the highest of only two SUNY institutions listed among the Top 400 World’s Best Universities
Stony Brook University is one of just 10 universities in the United States to be recognized by the National Science Foundation for its combination of research and undergraduate study
- Payscale.com - The University is ranked 37th among public universities with the highest ROI.
- Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) – The 2018-2019 CWUR rankings place Stony Brook University 128th in the world.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) - One of ten universities to receive an NSF award for integrating research and undergraduate education
- American Universities (AAU) – AAU places Stony Brook University among the top 60 research institutions in North America.
- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance – Kiplingers ranked Stony Brook University in the top 35 best values in public colleges.
- Times Higher Education World University Rankings – Stony Brook University is ranked among the top one percent of all universities in the world.
- Institute for Higher Education in Shanghai - Ranked Stony Brook among the top 120 universities in the world
- Times of London Higher Education Supplement - In a rating of the best sciences universities globally, ranked Stony Brook No. 76 in the world, 21st in the U.S. and 10th among U.S. public universities.
Faculty Scholarly Productivity Ranking
2000 Ranking from Publication of American Association for Higher Education